Literacy at Home
Of all the help you can give your child, the most important job you’ll probably do is helping with reading. That’s because learning to read is best taught on a one-to-one basis, so giving your child a bit of shared reading time every day will make a big difference.
Reading should be fun – that way it will be more effective. Here are some tips:
- Talk about the story and the characters as you go along.
- Let your child take over reading gradually – don’t push them into reading before they’re ready.
- Visit the library and borrow books you enjoy reading together.
- Choose subjects your child prefers - factual books or stories.
- Look for words in everyday life, not just books. Read newspaper headlines, shop signs or menus in cafes.